Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mama, why does brother have to be different?

Ug. Last night when Shannon was taking little t for a walk before bedtime, I was reading T some books...we turned out the lights and we were turning in for the night. T says some pretty deep stuff. The convo went something like this:
T - "Mama, why does brother have to be different?"
Me - "What do you mean baby?"
T - "You know, his autism."
Me - "That's just the way that God made him sweety."
T - "Well I don't like it. I don't like autism."
Me - "Do you want to talk about it?"
T - "I don't think he should have to have so much therapy...other kids don't have therapy."
Me - "Well, honey, if he doesn't have therapy, then he will not have the chance to get better..."
T - "I just wish that he could talk. I get lonely."
Me - *just about to tears here, holding her and stroking her hair* "I don't want you to be lonely honey....just try to have faith knowing that he will one day talk."
T - "I feel like he will never talk mama. I don't think he is ever going to talk. Sometimes I worry that he won't talk and then he won't make friends. You can't make friends if you don't talk."
Me - "I know baby, mama worries about that too....but, we just have to know that he will. Keep showing him how ok?? Can you do that for me? He learns by watching you."
T - *sounding a little deflated by now* "I will mama."
Autism affects everyone in the household. I remember when I was a therapist in college, I worked for a family that had a 3 year old with autism. I saw how it affected the family dynamic, how at times it seemed to rip them apart at their seams, it rearranged the daily happenings, it caused the mom major worry. I remember saying to myself "I hope that I never have to deal with that...I don't think I could do it." Someone was listening. Is that some crazy twist of fate or what? I am not going to dwell, I am going to be thankful. I am thankful that I have a son. I am thankful that he is healthy. I am thankful that my family is strong and together. I am thankful that I have an amazing therapist team to help him and that we have a strong extended family support system. I am thankful for my friends and their acceptance of little t. It is all the way that it should be and I thank God for my family everyday....the good, the bad, the different and everything in between. So, for now, I will continue to help T through this rough spot and continue to help t all the best that I know how.

No comments: